YMCA'S DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM BIG REWARDS SMALL STEPS
About the Program
Prediabetes is a potentially reversible condition that often leads to diabetes, and 79 million people in the United States are estimated to have it. If you have been diagnosed with prediabetes, or believe you may be at risk for developing the disease, the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program can help you develop a healthier lifestyle.
As a leading nonprofit for strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y believes that all people should be able to live life to its fullest, healthiest potential. In the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program a trained lifestyle coach will introduce topics in a small classroom setting and encourage participants as they explore how healthy eating, physical activity and behavior changes can benefit their health.
During the program participants will discuss topics such as healthy eating, increasing physical activity, reducing stress, problem solving, and much more.
Who Can Participate?
● To qualify for the program, participants must be at least 18 years old, overwweight (BMI > 25; BMI > 22 for Asian individuals),
and at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes. This risk is confirmed by a blood test, a previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes,
or a qualifying risk score
● Individuals who have already been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program.
Did you know...
● According to the CDC roughly 35% of U.S. adults have prediabetes and few are aware that they are at high risk for type 2 diabetes.
● YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program can reduce the number of new cases of diabetes by 58%.
● To reduce body weight by 7% ● To increase physial activity to 150 minutes per week
How to sign up:
We are currently enrolling participants for sessions at multiple locations. Contact Lisa, if you are interested in signing up for the program and provide her with your name and phone number were you can be reached.